St.Peter Cathedral is the main place of workship in Treviso and
the seat of the local diocese The cathedral, dedicated to St.Peter Apostole
overlooks the square.
HISTORY OF THE CATHEDRAL
-The church originates in the 6th
century AD, in the area where once there were a temple, a theatre and, perhaps,
some baths .
- It was the first Church dedicated to St.Peter. .
The Church was rebuilt and restored during the Lombard period
under the bishopric of Felice (6th
century A.D.), he was the first bishop historically verified, close friend of
Fortunato Venanzio, an important Christian poet, historian and bishop of Poiters , born in the province
of Treviso .
-After the
1100s, the bishop Rotario restored the cathedral and the palaces of the
bishop’s court. The Church was remodelled in Romanesque style, but only the iconographic draft shows how it was
the product of the fusion between the Roman culture and Byzantine heritage.
-Because of its non uniform aspect and its battered
structures, in 1768 it was demolished
and rebuilt in Neoclassicist style by
Giordano Riccati, who joined the new structure with the absidal chapels
and the crypt, that remained the same as the previous edifice.This renovation
brought to the destruction of many paintings, sculptures, funerary monuments and
also to the most serious loss of the historical and artistic legacy of the
city. In 1836 the façade was completed with the monumental and neoclassical
pronaos.
STRUCTURE
-Exterior
The cathedral is characterized by seven domes, five of them placed
above the central aisle and the other two that
closed the chapels. They form one of the
most characteristic features of the urban landscape with their color volumes of
copper and lead along with the huge
lanterns on top.
At the sides of the stairways there are two lions of red marble,
who supported the prothyron of the Romanesque edifice.
Outside the cathedral there are
signs l from all eras: a
significant Roman bas-relief of Bacchae, "recovered" outside
the main chapel of the fifteenth century,( despite the profane subject ), the
small windows of the crypt and the wall with pilasters and arches of the
Romanesque building; the exterior clad in white Istrian stone of pure Renaissance
style.
- Inside
In the altar near the "Santissimo
Sacramento"chapel are conserved the remains of the bishop Andrea Giacinto
Longhin, who was moved from the crypt because of his beatification. Meanwhile
near the first altar in cornu Epistulae is placed the grave of the blessed Arrigo
da Bolzano, who died in Treviso in 1315. In the same altar where Longhin is
buried, are located the grave of Parisio, friar ,who died in Treviso in 1267.
The inside
presents a neo-Renaissance architecture, created by Giordano Riccati
reclaiming: particolar mouldings and
proportions of the main chapel , erected at the end of the 400 by Pietro
Lombardo,united by the other two minor absidal chapels of the blessed and the
Annunziate and by the underlying Romanesque crypt. The architectural result
could seem too much stiff, especially for the concordance of building supplies
on the white marble surface . The place is caracterized by an original articulation
of the areas, widened ed by seven domes and five of them are placed along the
central aisle.
-Aisles
In the aisles
there are a lot of works of art:the most important are the altar piece of St.
Giustina, painted by Francisco Bissoloin 1530, portraying St. Giustina among
San Giovanni Battisti, St Catherine of Alexandria and a benefactor. Inside the second pillar in the left aisle there is
the Madonna with the child statua, made by Lorenzo Bregno, that represents the
Visitation.
-Main altar
The altar consacrated
by the bishop Paolo Magnani in 1999,is formed by the ancient sarcophagus that
contained the grave of Arrigo da Bolzano.
The absidal
complex is made by Pietro Lombardo and his son, authors of the old altar, that
contained the grave of Teonisto , Tabra and Tabrata, and also of the monument
of the bishop Giovanni Dacre,also Known as Zanetto, placed on the left wall.
In front of
this there is another monument dedicated to
pope Alessandro XIII Ottoloni, Baroque work of Giovanni Bonazza.
-Chapel
Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament:
In the chapel
of the Blessed Sacrament (XVI century), at the end of the left aisle and on the right of the main altar
there is the grave of the bishop Nicolo Franco (XV century), who, with the aid
of Franciscan friars , founded the Monte
di Pieta' .
In the
vestibule there are the weapons of the bishop Bernardo de' Rossi, who
commissioned the chapel to M.Antonio and
Pietro Tajapria between 1501 and 1514.
The sepulchre of the bishop Nicolo Franco is remarkable for its decorations in
the style of Renaissance, it was sculptured in 1501.
In the apse
is situated the fresco 'Pantocratore' of Pier Maria Pennacchi and in the plumes
of the dome, the work of Lorenzo Bregno rapresents the four evangelists
-Chapel of Malchiostro
Annunciation
At the end of
the right aisle and on the left of the main altar there is the chapel of
Malchiostro.
On the right
wall of the vestibule you can see the sarcophagus of the bishop Castellano Salomone,
that is dated
to 1322 and done by an artist from Venice who was strongly influnced by the Tuscan
style.
The chapel of
Malchiostro is dated to 1520 and war commissioned by Broccardo Malchiostro, the
secratary of the bishop Bernardo de Rossi.
The chapel
was planned by Tullio and Antonio Lombardo;it has a Renaissance style as a
matter of fact there is a square structure with a cupola.
The paintings
were committed to the two modern
painters of the XVI century: Pordenone and Tiziano. Therefore the final result
is one of the main set of paintings in Renaissance
style in Veneto.
Tiziano
painted the first 'Altar piece of
Annunciation' (Pala dell'Annunciazione).
Pordenone
painted the walls of the chapel. His works are:
-Worship of
the Magi (l'Adorazione dei Magi), located on the left wall
-The
Visitation (la Visitazione)
that is above the previous painting and according to the legend, it was
realized in only one day.
-The Dream of
Augusto (il Sogno di Augusto), that is situated in the basin of the apse and is
was ruined during a bombing in 1944.
-The Eternal
Father (il Padre Eterno), even if it was totally ruined during the bombing.
-Saints and
Doctors of Church (Santi e Dottori della Chiesa).
Malchiostro Annunciation
Malchiostro Annunciation
Malchiostro Annunciation is a painting by the Renaissance
artist Tiziano, dated about 1520 and preserved in the Cathedral of Treviso. The
oil painting was commissioned by Broccardo Malchiostro, secretary of the bishop
Bernardo de Rossi, to be placed on the left of the main altar in the
Malchiostro Chapel.
With this painting the author revolutioned the iconography of the typical Annunciation.
The particularity of the canvas is the lay-down of the
characters, as a matter of fact, unlike the tradition, Tiziano put the figures
in different planes. He collocated the figure of Madonna in first plane whereas
the Archangel is in second plane, where the
clouds are lifted to permit the passage of the solar light. At the bottom, a
bit hidden, the figure of the canon who
commissioned the work appeared . He seemed to peek at the entire scene with the
attention of an observer.
This figure, put on the vanishing paint, wasn’t
appreciated by the clerics of Treviso,
neither for its location in the painting, nor for its poor executive quality.
In 1526
a group of unknown people stained the Malchiostro’s portrait which was later repainted.
The plain is developed diagonally in depth. The
imposing architecture and the foreshortened outdoor guarantee
compositional harmony. The prospective
is emphasized by the checkered flooring.
The Virgin represented on the front, turns the look behind with naturalness and dynamism.
The large and heavy cape expands her forms and gives her volume. The virgin’s
clothes remind the blue and red colour
of the flooring. The face doesn’t show fear, she looks like a majestic queen.
The archangel Gabriel comes from the right,
accompanied by the divine light.
A yellow drape covers part of his body but doesn’t hamper the movements.
The head is curved with modesty and holds a lily in the left hand , symbol of the Virgin purity
.
The divine light, that accompanies the angel, is the
visible expression of the transcendent. It changes into a natural light and
gives volume to everything .
The light gives more or less brilliance to the warm
tonality of the colours, moreover it unifies the elements, immersing them into
a sacred atmosphere

Nessun commento:
Posta un commento